Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Back to Business as Usual

Its been almost 2 months since my last post, and over 3 months since the surgery. I must say that things are really looking up! I was able to do my first V10 on a two week trip to Chattanooga over New Years, along with a hand full of other hard and proud climbs. After my last trip, which was not very productive, these sends really hit the spot. For a while there I lost my "finisher brain", and I kept punting on shit I knew I could do. I'm not sure if it was a mental block from being injured, but whatever it was it's gone now! I was able to give trys that I would consider up to 100% on this trip, with little to no pain during the climb. Now after 2 straight weeks of climbing, of course my hand was pretty soar.. But i'm back home now and training on a steady schedule with plenty of rest. So yea things are lookin up! What is the future for the rock climber with a hamate hook fracture? I would say, What hamate hook fracture?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just found out i broke my hamate hook from a bad lead fall and the Dr wants to remove it. I've read removing it can jack up your grip strength. Do you notice any difference? I am of the mind to see if it will heal with a cast but he said it's a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been years now and I can't say I even notice a difference. I guess the thing that took the longest to heal is the ability to mantle and press on that area of my hand. But it will get better. I'm still crushing. If you don't do anything and it doesn't heal (or heals wrong), the sharp edges of the broken hamate hook will fuck up your tendons and stuff (which is what happened to me a little bit cause I waited too long), so seems like the only option is to remove it. I know it seems like a huge set back but it's really not a big deal in the long run.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the info! That makes me feel a lot better. Yeah mantleing was pretty rough when I trying to climb on it...so I can imagine.

    ReplyDelete